I used to write about the Twins a lot more. Over the past couple years, though, I found that there are many, many, many, many other websites do it far better than I ever could. I want to talk about the Twinkies a little bit, though.
5 Bold Predictions for 2006
- Jason Bartlett hits .330… – Unfortuantely, he’s hitting .330 in minor league ball. He may be given about a one week chance in July when Nick Punto goes on the DL, but he won’t get a chance to be a full-time starter until we are already out of contention.
- Francisco Liriano struggles – C’mon… first year players almost always struggle. I don’t see him coming in and being Felix Hernandez although he won’t be awful, either. I think next year is the year that he really shines.
- Torii Hunter gets traded – You’ll see a lot of names tossed around, but here’s the name I want to see in return… Juan Pierre. I know they’ve got Jacque Jones, but Torii Hunter seems like a player that would do well as a Chicago Cub. It’s inevitable that he’s not ending his career in Minnesota. Plus, I think Juan Pierre would be a great Twin.
- The dome dog remains the best tasting hot dog in the world. We may be out of the hunt by September, but as long as they serve Dome Dogs, there will always be good reason to visit the Metrodome.
- Tony Fatista and Rondell White play in less than 220 combined total games. I hope it breaks down something like 70 games for Batista (who, by the way, isn’t related to David Batista) and 150 for White. No way these two guys stay healthy all year, though.
Just a couple random thoughts-
- In a nutshell, the Twins have rock solid pitching, we’re above average at catcher and second base with Torii Hunter, Justin Morneau, and Jason Kubel/Michael Cuddyer all capable of having good offensive seasons. Currently, with Batista at third and Castro/Punto at shortstop, we have a horrible left half of the infield. Shannon Stewart remains a question mark. Should we make a trade and try to improve the left side of our infield (we could start by bringing up Bartlett!), they’ve got enough pieces to the puzzle to contend. I just think Terry Ryan and Ron Gardenhire will find a way to mess this up.
- I hate to jump on the “bash Tony Batista bandwago…” No, check that, I’m very happy to jump on the bandwagon. Anyway, he will become *the* guy that frustrates the most casual Twin fans. He’ll still probably hit 20-30 bombs. Old people will still say “we just need that big bopper in the middle of the lineup.”
Quick predictions for this week – UCLA over Florida, somebody I don’t care about will get kicked off of American Idol, and for the first time, I will watch the movie “The Warriors” which has been sitting in the top 5 of my Blockbuster queue since about August.
If you’re out on your bike tonight, do wear white,