What’s going on everyone
It’ll be a bit of an abbreviated update today. Instead of doing infrequent, long updates, I’m going to try to get more consistent even if it means some of my updates are shorter. Check back later this week for more updates. I’ve got a JV basketball game to coach tonight, so I’ve got to make this as quick as possible.
Dot… Dot… Dot…
- The weekly NBA Power Rankings are out. I hate Kobe Bryant and I have hated him his entire career. I’m an old-school Kobe hater. That being said, who would’ve ever thought that perennial dogs like the Clippers, Warriors, and Hornets would be ranked ahead of the Lakers in any sort of rankings? Who doesn’t think that Phil Jackson is walking around with a notepad and some sort of voice recorder just making “notes to self” for his next best-selling book.
- Is anyone honestly surprised that Aeon Flux bombed in the box-office? It cost over $60 million to make, yet it pulled in a whopping $13 million in the first weekend. In case you didn’t know, Aeon Flux was a cartoon on MTV during the mid-90’s. The only time I ever saw it was one night when I pulled an all-nighter at a church youth gathering in Bemidji, MN. I thought it stunk then and I’m just about sure it stinks now.
- When I look at box office numbers, I always get disappointed in what poor choice in movies that people have. I’m happy to see “Harry Potter” and “Walk the Line” doing well, but why are people going to see predictible re-hashes like “Yours, Mine, and Ours” and “Just Friends.” I haven’t seen either movie, so they might be alright. To me, though, they both just scream “rent me” rather than pay money instead of going to other movies. “Jarhead” was a great movie, but it struggled at the box office. “Good Night, and Good Luck” and “Capote” are both contenders to win the Best Picture award at this year’s Oscars, yet neither has made as much money as “Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo,” “Doom,” “XXX: State of the Union,” “Kicking and Screaming,” or “The Pacifier” – all of which look like certifiable stinkers if you ask me.
- Box office numbers aren’t everything, though. Besides Lord of the Rings, all 9 of my movies on my top 10 movies of all-time list made less money than “Fantastic Four”, “Bad Boys 2,” and “The Matrix Revolutions.” Of course, with inflation, the Godfather would me much higher on the list. Do you honestly believe there are 1,533 movies that deserved to make more money than The Shawshank Redemption. Are there reallly 3,687 movies that are better than Swingers? Were there 80 movies in 1998 that were better than Rounders? Does it make sense to anyone that “Casper” opened bigger than Braveheart?
- In yesterday’s column, I talked about professional wrestling. Today, a news article comes out that the WW(F) will start testing for drugs. How perfect is this? Can’t you just see a storyline where Eric Bischoff taints a drug test in order to suspend the Batista and John Cena. This sets up an inevitable creation of the “WWE Juiced-Up Title.” In order to qualify for this title, you must’ve failed your last drug test. Seriously, though, how much would wrestling have sucked back in the day if the Ultimate Warrior didn’t have a single vein that stuck out? Would you have honestly cheered for Hulk Hogan if he weighed 185 pounds?
- Did anyone notice the “Matt Millen face” (yes, I’m biting Simmons) during the Vikings game. Fox showed some guy running through the crowd with a “Fire Millen” sign. They then showed Matt Millen looking at his tv in his luxury box laughing it up. Suddenly, it’s like he realized that Fox was showing him. His expression changed so quickly that you just no this didn’t happened.
- By the way – my poor girlfriend must be wondering what happened to her boyfriend? In the past week, I have started watching wrestling (a little bit) and started playing videogames (last year’s college basketball game). She’s been busy writing a paper for school, so I’ve had to come up with things on my own to do. I can’t wait for her to finish that paper. If it takes too long, I may start listening to my old Master P records, wear my old Fubu jerseys, and play Tony Hawk all day. Yeesh!
I’ve gotta get going. Just call me “Bus Driver Brent” tonight as I’m actually driving one of the school vans to the game. Hopefully, those bad boys have heat. It is cold here!
If you’re out on your bike tonight, do wear white,