Welcome to the weekend edition of the online edition of brentnet. True, there is no other edition, but you need to work with me here… Anyway, I’ve gotta be quick with the intro as I have a lot of stuff to do. Actually, I’ve got about an hour before something to do and I want to destroy South Dakota State in a game of College Hoops 2k6. Anyway, here’s my random thoughts for you to ponder and comment on this weekend.
Dot… Dot… Dot…
- Did you know that Dave Chappelle turned down the roll of Bubba in Forrest Gump because he thought the movie would bomb horribly? Talk about your all time bad calls… Anyway, speaking of Chappelle, has anyone ever read the Chappelle Theory? For the record, I have a hard time believing that Oprah, Bill Cosby, Jesse Jackson and many other black leaders had an agenda to get Chappelle off the air, but it’s an interesting read.
- I completely stole this link from the Sports Guy, but did you read that Stephanie Tanner was hooked on meth? I know I shouldn’t be surprised because many-a-child actor has come along and had problems in the future, but I guess this one surprised me. By the way, Full House went off the air in 1995. It’s now 2006 and we still haven’t seen a reunion show? Tell me why this hasn’t happened. I know reunion shows often try to hard and overall are very lame, but I want to see it. Plus, they can interview “friends” of the cast mates. Basically, I want to find out from the horse’s mouth if Alanis is really singing about Dave Coulier on “You Oughta Know.”
- As a bit of a dvd guy, I get a few emails asking if I know when certain dvd’s are coming out. I’ve gotten a few questions about when “Wonder Years” is coming out and honestly, I have no idea. Not once has ever asked me when “Coach” is coming on dvd. Why aren’t more people up in arms about this? Coach had quite possibly one of the most underrated casts in the tv history. Craig T. Nelson was great in the play-it-straight role of Hayden Fox. Jerry Van Dyke provided the comic relief as the completely inept assistant coach Luther and Dauber was quite simply great as the token lame brain.
- Did you know that Jerry Van Dyke turned down the role of Gilligan because he thought it was “the worst thing he’d ever read?” Of course, you can say that he was correct because Gilligan’s Island was about the most ridiculous thing ever on tv. As a youngster, though, I enjoyed it.
- Did you hear that The Smashing Pumpkins are making a comeback. First of all, if they make any music, it will more than likely be lame. Zwan had one song that I dug (“Honestly”) and Billy Corgan’s solo album was awfully average. There is a good thing, though. If they released an album, they will more than likely tour. I’d love to see the Pumpkins live!
- There is a Godfather game and 24: The Game are both coming out within a month. I’m predicting one of these games is going to be an abomination, but are these not two of the more exciting “themed” videogames that have ever come out? I mean, if they kind of followed the Godfather storyline, but allowed you to make a few changes. For example, in the Godfather game, you could be Sonny and skip the turnpike and head to Vegas instead to put a hit out for Fredo before he could embarrass the family. The possibilities are endless! I have a feeling the 24 game could suck, though. First of all, if you are playing as Jack Bauer, there can be no “life meter” or anything like that because we all know that he is invincible. If you were to get clipped by a bullet and die, it would be the most unrealistic videogame ever. The cool thing is that this might be the first licensed videogame where you kill less people in the game than actually die in the show. I recall a little over 2 years ago when A Dot and myself did half of a “24-marathon” with season 2… through just 13 hours, the toal body count was 72.
- As many of you know, I got engaged a little over a month ago. I’ve been doing a lot of looking back at how things have changed since I started dating Sara. As I was looking in the notepad of my cellphone, I realized how telling this is that I’m about to be married. I only have one thing in my notepad… a note reading “tky bst hon oat lettce gpep tomato bolive onion cucmbr no cheese swt onion cut in half.” In case you can’t tell what that is, I have a copy of what Sara likes on her subs saved to my cellphone just in case we’re feeling lazy and want to have Subway instead of cooking out. A year ago, my cellphone notepad would’ve included something like my list of the top 10 white NBA players with a shaved head.
Gotta go! I have a busy weekend that involved being on a bus by 6:45 in the AM to coach basketball tomorrow. Have a good one, y’all. Give the message boards a browse as it’s getting better and better with time.
If you’re out on your bike tonight, do wear white,