The latest NBA GM survey was released this week. I love looking through these things even though I know there is no way they are actual filled out by Danny Ainge and Mitch Kupchak, but rather the guy that gets coffee for Danny Ainge and Mitch Kupchak.
The survey is filled with a ton of questions such as “Which player makes the most of limited natural ability?” (aka – who’s the best white player in the NBA) and “Which player would you want taking a shot with the game on the line?” While a lot of people enjoy looking at who GMs predict to be good this year, I like to look back at last year’s GM survey and see how smart they really were.
Which team will win The 2012 NBA Finals?
1. Miami — 74.1% – Good call here
2. Oklahoma City — 14.8%
Who will win the 2011-12 MVP?
1. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City — 55.6% Whoops!
2. LeBron James, Miami — 44.4%
Which player is most likely to have a breakout season in 2011-12?
1. James Harden, Oklahoma City — 21.4% – Good freaking call
T2. Ty Lawson, Denver — 10.7% – He had a good season
T2. Kyle Lowry, Houston — 10.7% Ditto
T4. Paul George, Indiana — 7.1% Expected more, but good season
T4. Jrue Holiday, Philadelphia — 7.1% Sneaky good season
T4. Marcus Thornton, Sacramento — 7.1% Two people voted for him!?!
Which acquisition will make the biggest impact?
1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers — 100% – Was it that obvious?
Which rookie will be the best player in five years?
1. Kyrie Irving, Cleveland — 51.9% Might be the best PG in the league in five years
T2. Ricky Rubio, Minnesota — 11.1% …unless this guy is better (which is possible)
T2. Jonas Valanciunas, Toronto — 11.1% We’ll find out a lot this year, won’t we
T2. Derrick Williams, Minnesota — 11.1% Think he’d even get 0.1% of the vote right now?
Which international player is most likely to have a breakout season in 2011-12?
1. Ricky Rubio, Minnesota — 37.0% I’d say that was a breakout season before he went down with the knee
2. Nicolas Batum, Portland — 14.8% I think he is what he is
3. Danilo Gallinari, Denver — 11.1% Was on his way before injuries
T4. Andrea Bargnani, Toronto — 7.4% See: Danilo Gallinari
T4. Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City — 7.4% I think that’d qualify as a breakout season, right?
T4. Jonas Jerebko, Detroit — 7.4% Muahahahahahahah
Which team is the most fun to watch?
1. Miami — 33.3% They were more really good than they were fun to watch
2. L.A. Clippers — 29.6% I think they tricked everyone into thinking they were fun to watch with the “Lob City” nickname
3. Oklahoma City — 18.5% How was this team not #1 with 100% of the vote?
Which player is the best offensive rebounder?
1. Kevin Love, Minnesota — 64.3%
2. Dwight Howard, Orlando — 21.4%
3. Zach Randolph, Memphis — 7.1%
Also receiving votes: David Lee, Golden State; Amar’e Stoudemire, New York Hold the phone… someone voted for Amar’e who has finished in the top 10 of offensive rebounding once in his career (2002-03). Was this Zeke?